Re: Accessibility of Cognos

  • From: "Dorene Cornwell" <dorenefc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 10:16:52 -0700

Hi Eileen

Sorry about the half message. I was thinking more about your question and I
decided just to post from my experience. I hope it is helpful though I am
kind of flinging out jargon just guessing about what might help.

When I think about accessibility of something like Cognos, I ahtink about a
few different things:

--How accessible is the front end?
The demos mentioned in my previous message offer suggestions, but that is
often hard to tell in the final analysis until has a copy of the software.
Demo shows use of lots of standard dialogue boxes and reusable objects

--How feasible is it to code using SQL of MDDB statments instead of relying
on the GUI interface.

--How accessible is the back end, administrative side. How easy is it to
build reports, maintain existing libraries of reports and objects build
analytical cubes, update data, run reports off relational tables vs build
cubes (depending on which of these routes you choose)

--How accessible is the report output? For what it's worth the demo showed
options for Excel, HTML, XML

I suppose when thinking about supporting the applications you mentioned, the
other question is what is expected of your department? How much are you
expected to be able to update or modify reporting structures vs just
supporting the right mappings of input data into the processes, managing
metadata, that kind of thing?

I am in this weird position because I have lots of past experience to help
think about what questions to pose. But I am not that sophisticated a JAWS
user. I am still working out how to do programming and technical stuff
through more audio and much less visual methods. And finally to develop
skills in those areas I decided that just concentrating on a couple classes
in high-end office skills might be as helpful as trying to deal with
specific tools.

Anyway, good luck.

DoreneC