RE: AJAXaccessibility

  • From: "Rasmussen, Lloyd" <lras@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 13:29:50 -0400

I agree with Ken's recommendation of the W3C ARIA web pages.

AJAX (Asynchronous JavaScript And XML) generally means a web page which is not
static, or which pulls its content from multiple sources under control of
JavaScript running on the client computer.  Access to these pages is a work in
progress, and it does require that some coding techniques not be used or be
modified in order to give screen readers enough information to do something
useful.  Recent versions of JAWS and NVDA currently give the best results;
Window-Eyes has some catching up to do.  If you haven't tried Facebook yet, it
gives you the flavor of what you must deal with.  As far as I know, Facebook
hasn't yet done much with ARIA roles and live regions yet.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Project Engineer
National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped
Library of Congress   202-707-0535
http://www.loc.gov/nls
The preceding opinions are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of the
Library of Congress, NLS.