Re: A History of Variables

  • From: Marlon Brandão de Sousa <splyt.lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2009 12:31:55 -0300

Hello Andreas,
Nice to hear from you again.
I guess an excelent way to do that is by setting a group of keys to go
forward or backward, like ins + d to enter debug mode and ins + d to
scape debug mode.
Inside the debug mode, letters V and shift V would be used to hear the
bnext or previous variable (name and value) in the order specified.
Letters as f could be used for functions, o for each object
instantiated and etc. The arrows could be used to navigate like a tree
view. For example, I am inside a method that makes use of three
objects inside it. The objects should be like a tree and using arrows
should let uyou access the internal values of variables, always
considering the other keys fv for example as quick keys to access what
is going on.
Another cool feature would be to strack the informations to a kind of
file so one can for example easily use regular expressions to get
qickly information on a multi threaded program in debug mode.
If you need some more information or ideas just ask.
Thanks,
Marlon

2009/10/13, qubit <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm not a java programmer, but how do you intend to handle scope in such a
> debugger? If you have gone out of a block or function, you are no longer
> interested in -- nor can you be sure of the value of -- stack variables in
> that function, as that space can be overwritten by other function calls.  Or
> am I answering my own question?...
> Actually, this might be relevant from a debugging standpoint if someone
> tries to use a pointer to a local -- or is that not supported in java?
> I really should glance over a java tutorial... After C++ I hear it is easy
> to learn, but I never took the time to do it.
> --le

free."
Linus Torvalds