[programming] Borland Kylix, Linux Development

  • From: John <spyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <calmira_tips@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 09:45:59 -0400 (EDT)

Hello All,

For those of you on both Calmira Tips and the General Programming list, I
apologize for the cross post, I figure this way everyone on both lists
gets to read this and things have been slow lately on both lists.

It appears that Kylix Open Edition is now available.  I am in process of
downloading the 30MB tarball and can tell Borland servers are bogging as I
am only getting 12KBPS as opposed to my usual average 105KBPS speeds from
my cable connection :)

With the open edition of Kylix you can legally develop and distribute
programs under the terms of the GPL.  Of course Borland has a few terms as
to what you can and can not do with the open edition, but I feel it is
fair because you can still develop and distribute Linux apps <g>

For those of you who may be unaware of what Kylix is; Kylix is an IDE for
RAD development of Linux applications fully compatible with Delphi and C+
Builder.  From what I understand, a fully functioning Windows app can be
easily ported to Linux with minor changes, mainly API calls.  I have herd
if a windows app is fully written in Delphi native language, i.e. no win
api calls, the app should just compile and run under Linux.

This is good news for both the Linux community, as well as the Delphi/C+
Builder community.  On the Linux side, we can expect an abundant growth of
more quality programs, and on the Delphi/C+ Builder community side this
will allow you to meet the demands of your market.  Linux is growing more
and more everyday and it just keeps getting better and better.  Those not
yet using Linux will more than likely give Linux another thought after
using the upcoming Windows XP from M$.  At this point in time the only
thing Linux lacks that I would like to have is Internet Explorer.  While I
get by with Netscape it would be nice to have IE.  However the lack of IE
is not why I keep Windows on my machine, the main reason I keep windows
around is the fact that it is required for business needs, well mainly,
check processing software, but that's another story and I am working on an
alternative to that :)

OK, enough rambling,  for more information on the Kylix Open Edition go
here: http://www.borland.com/kylix/k1/opedfaqs.html

You will find information on the legal issues, more information on the IDE
and libraries, as well as downloading and registration information.

Enjoy!

-John-
http://www.spydermania.com/
Email: spyder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
General Programming List Admin

words "unsubscribe"  (without quotes) in the subject feild.  OR visit
//freelists.org/