[procps] Re: top's graph mode saga continues

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 01:26:15 -0500

On Jun 28, 2014, at 8:49 AM, Craig Small <csmall-procps@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> They've been pushed now, after my translation ones.
> I didn't see the problem you mention, but I'm a pretty simple top user;
> I didn't even use the E key until last week!

Thanks, Craig.

I’m guessing that it might have been some time since you issued a 'W' to update
the rcfile.

For the problem I mentioned to arise 'W' would have to be issued under the
original graphs implementation, updating the '.lt-toprc' config file.  Then,
after updating your repository with the latest commits and rebuilding, another
'W' issued.

Incidentally, not all distros use the 'lt-top' naming convention.  Builds
within a git repository under OpenSUSE, for example, employ the normal 'top’
program name.

Anyway, I sure hope you don’t run with the top defaults.  How would you feel
about changing those defaults, since it would mostly affect new users?  I think
turning on colors, forest view and cpus graph mode would help to open some eyes.

Regards,
Jim