[procps] Re: top: Escape doesn't abort kill command

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 07:05:36 -0500

On Apr 26, 2014, at 6:22 AM, jlh <jlh@xxxxxx> wrote:
> I just accidentally pressed 'k' within top, but then wanted to
> abort the kill command.  I did this by pressing escape several
> times, which unfortunately caused my X session to be killed.  It
> turns out that pressing escape won't abort the input prompt, but
> causes the default input (default PID, default signal) to be
> accepted.  Thus I killed the topmost process in the list with the
> default signal.
>
> Does anyone else observe the same behavior, or is this maybe an
> issue with my ncurses?
>
> In any case, pressing escape should abort the input.  I remember
> that in older versions pressing escape would actually do nothing
> at all, or insert ^[ or something like that at the prompt.
>
> I'm using procps-3.3.8-r2 with ncurses 5.9-r2 on Gentoo Linux.  I
> also tried the latest procps from Gitorious, with the same
> behavior.

Hello,

This should probably be considered "my bad" even though an abort procedure is
documented on the man page for the 'k' and 'r' commands.  It has been this way
ever since release 3.3.6 when a 'default' pid was introduced for some commands.

I’m going to consider this a bug and work on a solution.

Thanks for your observations.

Regards,
Jim