[procps] Re: rhbz#737215 - ps does not resolve some user names

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:37:05 -0500

On Mon, 2012-09-17 at 10:55 -0400, Jaromir Capik wrote:
> Jim, I'm unsure if you're against or not.
> Can you handle such change or do you see that
> as something absolutely unacceptable?

Hi Jaromir & Craig,

Attached is a suggested patch for ps.  I chose a trailing '+' when a
long name has been truncated, but that could be easily changed.

The top program already truncates long names, but without the visual
hint.

As for overflowing GID, UID, etc. the solution is messier.  I've toyed
with a new top toggle to display ID and NAME columns as normal or double
wide but it doesn't feel quite right yet.

How about we wait on very long UIDs until someone complains after
exceeding 99999?

Regards,
Jim