[procps] Re: [pull] watch refactored, stream status check et

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 14:59:07 -0500

On Apr 4, 2012, at 1:55 PM, Sami Kerola wrote:

> It seems that release is somehow not happening. Well, I might as well
> try to include changes that I've kept in my repo for while to next
> version so that my 'ready' buffer is fully flushed before release.
> Notice that the refactored watch will exit immediately which means
> Kent R. Spillner's pull request #4 is either unnecessary, or in
> conflict with that patch.

Hi Sami,

I wonder what happened to Craig.  It's been long enough that frankly I'm a
little concerned.  Sure hope things are ok down-under.

As for your proposed fileutils/close-stream changes, here are some
(unsolicited) thoughts:

. Isn't this "problem" really a deficiency in the C standards?

. If not addressed there, shouldn't it be taken up by the glibc folks?

. A program didn't open those streams, so it's awfully unfair to require
closure.

. Such stream close errors seem to be limited to induced constraints.

. An exception is disk full, but then a zero rc is the least of a user's
problems.

. Has there ever been a hint of a problem related to a "misleading" zero rc?

Ok, with that said let me also say I appreciate the minimally intrusive manor
of your and Jim Meyering's implementation.  But, perhaps your close_stdout()
function could be called something like close_outstreams() since it's not
limited to solely stdout.

Regards,
Jim

p.s. Now, if we could just get Sami to adopt Jim Meyering's standards regarding
relational operators and the use of tabs...