[procps] Re: [pull] long options, usages & man page alignments

  • From: Jim Warner <james.warner@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2011 15:05:04 -0500

On Oct 4, 2011, at 2:21 PM, Sami Kerola wrote:

> -- snip
> Usage: ps [options]
>
> For more information
>  ps --help=<section>
> the section can be [simple|selection|output|long|threads|misc|all]
> -- snip
>
> I think the Usage: line should repeat in all print outs, and rest is
> pretty straight forward. Comments?

I like that format.  Maybe omit 'long' with the intention of including
equivalent long options on each sub-screen.

> The clash is not with directory name, but autotools texinfo `ps'
> target. At first I called ps simply ps, and autotools became unhappy
> about duplicated target. I don't think there is better go-around for
> the issue than having intermediate weird target name. After all there
> is no way people would approve us changing ps command name, and I am
> fairly confident autotools guys will not drop the PostScript target
> either.

I can't duplicate any unhappiness on my system.  I even installed the texinfo
package which was not present.

Then I tried a version with just the pscommand and transformation missing
(retaining the original ps/ directory name) and still all was well.

???

Jim