[procps] Re: Adopting 'pidof' from sysvinit-tools

  • From: Jaromir Capik <jcapik@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: procps@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 11:25:34 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Craig.

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 12:27:15PM -0400, Jaromir Capik wrote:
> > Should I take the killall5 source, strip it and introduce
> > as a new tool (directly called 'pidof' without linking)?
> It's been a while, why was this tool moving from packages again?
> Are the "source package" guys happy about the move?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by "linking" here.

'pidof' is just a symlink to 'killall5'
We're moving the tool, because it's currently a part of sysvinit-tools
and as sysvinit is dying, we need to remove it from the distribution.
However ... we believe it's good to keep the 'pidof' binary
in the distro and that's why we're searching for "someone"
who could adopt it. My favourite targets are procps-ng and psmisc.

> If it is ok to move I'd
> look at the code, make sure that it is what we are after and then
> introduce it. Old tools like pidof often can have quite crufty code
> that was a good idea 2 decades ago.

Yeah ... I've already created a new stripped version of 'killall5'
and renamed to 'pidof'. It seems to work, but ... like you wrote,
the code looks like XXXXXXXXXXXXXX and needs more care :]

>  - Craig

Regards,
Jaromir.