[pov] Re: Lytro Camera Technology

  • From: Michael Elenko <michael.elenko@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 16:17:02 -0800

Lytro looks like a fun working pilot more than a refined product. Its future
could go any number of ways. Maybe like HDR it will end up as an in-camera
processing option. Since Lytro uses a very different rendering engine, I'm
doubtful it can be fitted or converted to existing hardware and software
designs. So to answer your first question, no.

My intuitive guess is that Apple will purchase them pretty soon.  Since the
Lytro web interface appears to accommodate touch so nicely, it would be a
natural extension to Apple's platform(s). But I don't think Apple would simply
shoehorn Lytro into their existing universe. I think Apple would use it as one
of several technologies to reinvent the interaction & delivery of images. How
they do this I cannot imagine, but the impact would be similar to how we've
been hit with recorded music and iDevice goodies. There are rumors abound that
Apple will pick up Kodak as much for the IP if anything, so they can piece
together a strong toolkit. It may take 3-5 years for serious products to emerge
in forms different from what we expect now. This may affirmatively answer your
second question.

ME

Cordially,
Michael Elenko