[pov] Hacked AOL account, was Re: Re: [pov]

  • From: John Sage <jsage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 10:19:47 -0700

On 10-09-17 09:00 AM, vipco93@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
It appears that my e-mail account has been hacked and members may be
getting unusual e-mails from vipco93@xxxxxxxx Apologies to all. I will
cancel my pov listing at the current e-mail server and will sign up
again with a different address and server. If anyone has received mail
unrelated to photography please let me know. Tim Robinson

Quoting vipco93@xxxxxxx:

These hacked AOL account emails are very interesting; I've received at least four recently.

When I try to "view source" under Thunderbird/Ubuntu -- view the entire body of the email, headers and all -- a window opens up that is as small as possible.

In fact the first time I tried this last week it took me minutes to even notice the tiny things up in one corner of the screen, at which time I had four open.

They seem to have no actual content.

Saving one of those just received to hard drive and examining the full text that way shows this:

[start full headers fragment]

[end full headers fragment]

whois for 196.203.59.89 shows:

% Information related to '196.203.56.0 - 196.203.59.255'

inetnum:        196.203.56.0 - 196.203.59.255
netname:        TUNET-ADLG-06
descr:          ADSL-LIGHT Customers
country:        TN
org:            ORG-ATIA2-AFRINIC
source:         AFRINIC # Filtered
parent:         196.203.0.0 - 196.203.255.255

organisation:   ORG-ATIA2-AFRINIC
org-name:       Agence Tunisienne Internet - ATI
org-type:       LIR
country:        TN
address:        13 rue Jugurtha  Mutuelle-ville
address:        1002 Tunis
address:        Tunis 1002
e-mail:         tn.ati@xxxxxx
e-mail:         lir@xxxxxx
e-mail:         pdg@xxxxxx
phone:          +216 71 846 100
fax-no:         +216 71 846 600

So basically this specific email was probably injected into the AOL email system by a DSL customer of tunet.net (http://www.tunet.tn/) based in Tunisia, using your AOL account credentials for validation.

Fun stuff, huh?

- John
--
John Sage