[pov] Re: Canon 5DmkII / 28-135 3.5-5.6 (non-L) lens question

  • From: Nicholas Wiesnet <wiesn100@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2012 08:29:09 -0700

Hey James!

The reason is that your lens is not a fixed aperture at almost a 1 1/3 stop
difference from wide to telephoto. Live mode is the only way to properly
shoot video with a DSLR to ensure focus is sharp, although it usually is
best to have a 7" monitor. It's realllllly tricky shooting video with non-L
lenses and is not recommended. Best to shoot with the 24-105 L 4.0 for the
fixed stop. Although it's not the fastest lens in the world, it gives you
the best flexibility for video and will not jump in exposure bracketing due
to the lens being fixed at a 4, the 5D sensor is VERY unforgiving with
focus for video and is best to shoot at a 5.6 during any day int/ext. If
you've been shooting a lot of video lately, check out this new upgrade for
color profiles by Technicolor at:

http://www.technicolor.com/en/hi/theatrical/visual-post-production/digital-printer-lights/cinestyle

Hope this helps you! All the best,

Niko