[pisa] Re: direct ssh to passion

  • From: Jó Ágila Bitsch Link <jo.bitsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Diego Biurrun <diego@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 16:36:01 +0200

Hi all,

> I placed the following in my ~/.ssh/config:

Host login
  HostName login.nets.rwth-aachen.de
  User biurrun

> Now I can just type 'ssh passion' instead of doing a two-step ssh login.
>
> If somebody thinks this is old and stupid and has a better solution, I'm
> all ears...

Some suggested additions:

Host passion
 HostName passion.nets.rwth-aachen.de
 ForwardAgent yes
 ProxyCommand ssh login ./bin/nc -w 20 %h %p 2> /dev/null
 User biurrun

* "2> /dev/null" hides the error messages on connection shut down
(That's only within the Proxy Command, your normal ssh output is
unaffected)
* "-w 20"  sets a timeout in seconds. If a connection is unused for
extended periods of time, the connection shuts down. This can be
useful if the host (login in this case) does not properly detect
disconnections. (login in this case does, so it's not necessary)
* To make the above truly useful, you should also use ssh keys :-)
* Let long running processes run in a "screen" -> man screen (I'm sure
Diego does that already)
* Port forwarding in ssh is a great tool to get access to /internal
only/ applications (mail server/access to ieee digital library/...) if
you cannot use VPN for some reason (e.g. silly internet provider
settings in Belgium).

Cheers!
Jó
at: