[photodesk] Photodesk PDF manual & transparency

  • From: Jim Nagel (lists) <jimfree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: photodesk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:36:34 +0100

Is there a more recent version of the Photodesk manual than the PDF
one I have?  Its preface says it's version 1.50 dated 2010-oct-20 and
that it is a work in progress.

I tried the CJE site as the preface advised, but the Manual page there
yields an empty copy of Freshen. (Would Freshen apply to PDF anyway?)

(I have version 3.10 of Photodesk.)

The index of this manual, which is very nicely set out (thanks,
Chris!), does not mention Transparency.  I found a mention in the body
of the manual under Layers.  But I'm still in the dark about how to
apply transparency.  (I suspect I need to unlearn some assumptions
picked up from !Paint, where "transparent" is effectively an extra
colour called "none".)

In my current little exercise I have a photo of an outdoor scene and a
photo of a bird in flight against a clear blue sky (which as usual, on
closer inspection, is several close shades of blue).  I want to lose
the sky so that I can overlay the bird onto the first photo.

Both photos are JPGs.  I'll eventually bring the result into
Impression via Artworks, so I could do the overlaying in Artworks.
The bird will have to fly into Artworks as a sprite, because JPG does
not handle transparency.

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
   Abbey Press   32 Norbins Rd        (01458) 83 3603