[phoenix-project] Falling ball viscometer cum densitometer

  • From: I_deserve_d_bests_in_life <borthakur.gg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: phoenix-project@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 09:14:48 +0530

Dear Dr Ajith Sir,
In The Phoenix workshop 2nd - 7th may, I have proposed to built a falling
ball viscometer with the expeyes system.and It sounded interesting and
doable to few present there.
Back home I have tried to implement the idea. You need  graduated cylinder
with the experimental liquid and a spherical ball to fall freely through
it.Commonly available metal balls  have so high density that It cant achieve
terminal velocity for the taken length of the cylinder. Plastic balls I used
float, so does not serve my purpose.To measure the density of commonly
available liquids, I need a small ball of material density slightly grater
than 1200Kg/m3.
Do any of the group has a suggestion ?

What is more interesting is that the same apparatus with slight
modifications can be used as a densitometer, once the stated problem is
solved .

--
*With regards, *

*GGB**
Dr.GOURI GOUTAM BORTHAKUR
Assistant Professor & Entrepreneurship educator
Writer, Teacher and Research Guide
Dept of Physics
JORHAT INSTITUTE OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Jorhat-10
Assam ** <http://phy-effects.blogspot.com/>*
*Ph -9864308097
*