Re: [PCWorks] Hidden files and folders.

  • From: "Harold B." <harold7@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 08:39:19 -0400

Now THAT fixed the problem. I compared my key values (if that is what they are
called) to yours and found the only changes I had to make were in the "Text"
values. In "NOHIDDEN" where you have 30501, I had 30500, and in "SHOWALL" where
you have 30500, I had 30501. I made the appropriate chages and it is all fixed,
"Show" and "Hide" are no longer reversed. I wonder what I did to have made
those values change. Your importing instruction on the bottom (below) using
Notepad etc. are a bit over my ability ... maybe someday :-) --- Harold
<CLIP>

>> 1. Now is there a way to reverse the selections so that "Show" actually
>> shows and "Hide" actually hides?
>
> I don't know, I've never heard of them being reversed before. I'd scan for
> malware using EVERY method possible, since like I
> said malware can cause this.  See the 5th post on this page of mine for
> starters:
> http://forums.microsoft.com/TechNet/ShowPost.aspx?PostID596789&SiteID
>
> Did you read over the 3rd method well?  There's some "2" options in there
> besides 0 and instead of 1.
>
> Here are my key exports from method #2, you can compare these to yours:
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\NOHIDDEN]
> "RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
> "Text"="@shell32.dll,-30501"
> "Type"="radio"
> "CheckedValue"=dword:00000002
> "ValueName"="Hidden"
> "DefaultValue"=dword:00000002
> "HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
> "HelpID"="shell.hlp#51104"
>
> Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
> [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\Folder\Hidden\SHOWALL]
> "RegPath"="Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\Explorer\\Advanced"
> "Text"="@shell32.dll,-30500"
> "Type"="radio"
> "CheckedValue"=dword:00000001
> "ValueName"="Hidden"
> "DefaultValue"=dword:00000002
> "HKeyRoot"=dword:80000001
> "HelpID"="shell.hlp#51105"
>
> You can make backups of your keys, then just import those above and see if
> they fix it.  A quick of way of doing this is after
> you export your key values for these, drag and copy them, then open each copy
> in Notepad, delete the contents then paste this
> data in them.  (Of course one area for one reg file, and the other area for
> other reg file).  Then click and import them.
>
> Those long lines above did not wrap when I checked, so you should not need to
> modify them.  9 lines each, not counting the
> Registry Editor version and line skip.  Or if you'd rather you can just
> manually change yours to these after making backups of
> your keys. -Clint

<CLIP>