Re: [PCWorks] Hardware temperatures

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 08:26:17 -0500

Is your mobo an Intel mobo with a supported hardware monitoring
chip?  If not, the temps may not be accurate.  IF so:  46 is
115°F, that's about the limit that I would be comfortable with
for a CPU.  But something's wrong if your MOBO is showing
118°+, and something is much more seriously wrong if the other
temps are 68 (154°) and 81 (177°)!!

Feel all the components on the mobo yourself and see how hot
they feel.  Try another HW monitoring program like MBM5 or
SpeedFan, but like any other your HW monitoring chip must be
supported.
http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=311
http://download.cnet.com/Motherboard-Monitor/3000-2086_4-10518386.html
http://www.dvhardware.net/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=3

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
http://download.cnet.com/SpeedFan/3000-2094_4-10067444.html

There's also benchmarking software like SANDRA and AIDA32 (now
only available as "Everest" I believe) that will show you
temps.

If you finally determine those temps ARE accurate, SHUT OFF
YOUR PC.  Something is wrong.  Use those programs to see if all
your voltages are in spec (3.3, 5, and 12v).  If any are really
high, that MIGHT be the cause.  But you should NOT let the PC
run at those temps.  Even if you put fans on the hot spots,
that does not fix the problem of why they are so high.
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner
www.OrpheusComputing.com