Re: [PCWorks] Free Scan Before Purchase

  • From: TWT97@xxxxxxx
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 20:56:04 EST

FREE SCANS!!  I have 3 computers all of which are using McAfee  Security
Center and Webroot Spy Sweeper, both of which are regularly  updated with
current
definitions.  I run a spyware/virus  sweep using each of these several times
each week.  I  downloaded a  trial copy of Stopzilla and it found 343 instances
of  spyware which it would not remove until I purchased the program.  I
checked  for the registry keys that  the malware supposedly added and never
found
one.That was a couple of weeks ago.  I still run Webroot/McAfee and  it has
never found those programs.  It appears to me that Stopzilla's  main aim is to
get you to buy their product using devious means.   Free Scans.  Yeah Right

In a message dated 11/15/2007 6:38:35 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jfisher@xxxxxxxx writes:
Thanks  for the replies and additional info.
However Eric missed the point I was  making that some of the free scans
appear to return false information, as  I reported from my Version Tracker
Pro scan, perhaps to lead an unwary  user into purchasing the product  to
correct the listed items.
I  quite like the Secunia scanner.
Thanks again
John