Re: [PCWorks] Downloading Gmail using Pegasus via POPFile

  • From: "Ben Moore" <benmoore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 12:02:14 -0400

I played with adding pop3 Gmail to my outlook 2003 and finally got it
working.  Your problem is that you have to add SSL support to POPFile.  And
then configure your pegasus email program.

Read this .... http://email.about.com/od/popfiletips/qt/et012506.htm
Assuming you are running POPFile 1.10   You need to configure the Gmail
account in pegasus like the example on that page.  Don't worry about the
addssl.zip that's in the second part of the instructions.  Just configure
that account in pegasus as shown. Make sure that the incoming server is
127.0.0.1 and the user name is like the example.

.Use the "{original POP server name}:995:{user name}:SSL" format instead of
just "{original POP server name}:{user name}" for the user name field.
.To set up a Gmail account with the user name "gmailuser", for example, use
"pop.gmail.com:995:gmailuser@xxxxxxxxx:SSL".

Next you have to add the SSL support to POPFile.  Go to add/remove programs
and choose modify in POPFile.  Click on through and  you'll find only one
option to add and that's SSL support.  This will automatically download a
file, shut down POPFile and install the addon. (Info here
http://getpopfile.org/docs/faq:ssl)

Manually restart POPFile and your Gmail should work.  Mine did.  Looks
complicated but it's pretty straightforward.

For outgoing mail ... It's  a little different.  You need to go into
advanced settings and I don't know anything about pegasus but I'm sure they
are there somewhere.  Check outgoing server needs authentication and put in
your Gmail user name and password.  This is just your plain user name and
pass.  Not like all the stuff you entered for incoming.  Then you need to
change the outgoing server port to 465.  The incoming server port should be
123 if you are configured in a default mode for popfile.

Write me if you need some help.

Ben Moore