Re: [PCWorks] Booting Into DOS

  • From: "Karl Springer" <bi434@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2012 01:23:31 -0800

On 1 Mar 2012 at 14:49 -0500, Tom wrote, at least in part:

> If I get a new laptop running Windows seven, and with a
> CD/DVD drive, and I have a CD with a DOS operating system,
> will I be able to boot into DOS from that CD?

Thank you for asking the question.  In a Win 7, 64-bit machine
with a SATA hard disk, I tried running SpinRite (SR) that uses
FreeDOS.  Machine would not boot.  Went to the SR website and
found the following on <http://www.grc.com/sr/kb/sata.htm>:

"The BIOS of most SATA motherboards contains SATA configuration
options that can be used to cause the hardware registers of new
SATA drives to "appear" in the locations occupied by traditional
parallel IDE/ATA (PATA) drives. These options are typically
called "Legacy" or "Compatibility" mode. These options have been
created to support older operating systems, such as Microsoft
Windows 9x family, which are incompatible with SATA drives
unless they are "mapped" into the traditional IDE hardware
locations."

After making the change, SR booted and ran OK.

Even if you get the laptop to boot in DOS, keep in mind that the
hard drive is most likely formatted in NTFS.

> Also, if I'd get a USB floppy drive for the laptop, and I
> have a DOS operating system on a floppy disc, will I be able
> to boot from the floppy disc?

The BIOS must support it.  I believe that the BIOS in many of
today's machines support booting from a USB Flash Drive.

Karl