[PCWorks] How to remove an Acrobat Exchange plugin update and Adobe *Reader* popup message problems

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:02:29 -0500

If any of you happen to want to install an update to an old
Acrobat Exchange v3.0.1 called "Make32us.exe", don't do it.
http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=301
I installed it and now I'm having all kinds of trouble with PDF
files in Adobe READER 6.   Acrobat isn't even the default PDF
viewer, Adobe reader is!  For example, this one file I tried to
view at http://www.vizio.com/products/detail.aspx?pid=69
(please see the "Manual" link), won't open and says the file is
"either not a supported file type or because the file has been
corrupted (for example, it was sent as an email attachment and
wasn't correctly decoded)"!  But I CAN download it and view it
fine!  I don't know what this has to do with the newer basic
reader but that file screwed it up.  The odd thing is this
isn't happening at every site with every PDF file, I can click
PDF links at my site and they open with no problem.

I went to the Exchange folder to try and find new files and all
I could find was a readme file and a file called "DeIsL1.isu",
and I renamed it but that didn't fix the problem.  I looked in
the Reader folder and none of the files in it had been modified
nor new ones added.

Does anyone know how to remove this POS or at least get the
Reader to work like it was?  I don't want to have to do an
ERUNT restore because that would revert back other things I've
done since this was installed.  I could spend hours trying to
figure out what was changed in the registry (if that would fix
it).  I've also searched my HD for files modified or created on
the day I installed it and found no associated files.  I did
however find a file called ACROEXCH.ini in the Windows folder,
but that's "Exchange" and not the reader, and I appears the
only reason it was modified was because it has recent MRU's in
it of the last files viewed with the old Acrobat Exchange
program.

I have also tried opening the PDF files in Exchange and
resaving them while optimizing which SHOULD have worked, but
that didn't even help,still get the annoying message.  (They
will open in Exchange but won't display the images).

I've done a "Detect and repair" for the Reader and that didn't
do jack.  Of course if others can view the PDF file at that URL
above, then it's not this new update that's causing this
specific problem, but the update IS FOR CERTAIN also causing
OTHER problems when trying to view PDF files online.  The other
problems I can't recall now verbatim what they were, but they
all involved the PDF file never displaying, things like a
"plugin error", and some other error.  Searches for these
problems resulted in nothing.

The other problem, now with the Reader, (UNRELATED to the
update I installed), is I'm getting these annoying asinine
popup messages stating erroneously: "This file appears to use a
new format that this version of Acrobat does not support.  It
may not open or display correctly"...blah, then they try and
tell you that you need the newest version which is BS because
the files displays just fine.  There's a box to CHECK that says
"don't show this again" and you keep checking it and it does
nothing, it just keeps popping up!!  This is like blackmail or
extortion to force you into using their newest POS versions
(which is plagued with problems).  Such as: the reason I use
v6x is because this was the last version that used the
integrated search function.  Now, when you try and search a
separate window opens up and you have to constantly keep
clicking to restore the search results window after you view
the highlighted search phrases in the file!  That's just
unacceptable.  Another thing is no way of being able to turn
off the updates!  Every time I'd open a PDF file, that
ridiculous icon would go to the system tray constantly trying
to "call home" for updates.....that it never could find!  I had
to delete the update executable file for that problem to go
away, but the search problem remained.  So I went back to v6
and used it as the main PDF viewer.

So if anyone knows how to get rid of that monotonous popup,
that would also be nice.  Has anyone tried the new v9 of the
Reader yet, and if so does it still have the Search feature
problem and update running problem?
Thanks,
-Clint

God Bless