[PCWorks] Fixed: How do you get MSE/Microsoft Security Essentials to load at startup?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2012 07:23:53 -0500

I lucked out and was able to fix this by **manually** adding a
Registry key.  I looked at the other things in Msconfig's Start
Up tab, their locations, then added this to the Registry via a
.reg file I made:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
"MSC"="\"C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Security
Client\\msseces.exe\" -hide -runkey"

I restarted, and now it's loading as it should.  But I am at a
loss as to why I had to do this.

The only thing I had running at start up was TeaTimer (and now,
added Comodo firewall).  What's really stupid is a while back I
could not PREVENT it from loading at start up!  Its box kept
getting re-checked in Msconfig's Startup tab!  Now, it's gone
from that area!

So I take it you use it, so how is it presented in your
Msconfig's Startup tab?  Is it just listed as:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe"

Or is there some kind of command switch after it, such as (for
example only):

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -h

Or:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security
Client\msseces.exe" -startup

Is yours in quotes?  And where is the Registry location?  Some
of the (previously loading) items in the "Start up" tab are
located at HKLM and some are HKCU, and some don't even have a
prefix.  Maybe I can find that area in the Registry, manually
add it, and it may then show up under the "Start up" tab.

Thanks,
-Clint

God Bless,
Clint Hamilton, Owner