[PCWorks] After a HD image/clone restore to a new larger HD results in an odd unnamed 'phantom partition', how to get it back to C:?

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 08:50:52 -0500

A few days back I had to run a restore from a disk image (some kind of
SERIOUS corruption that even after several hours of DOS commands I still
couldn't get it to boot).  I had new HD so I decided to just use it.
Since this particular backup I tried won't run from DOS, I had to
install XP on the new HD, install the backup software, then it restored
the backup image from the old HD.

That works, but previously, and this time, I partitioned the main C:
drive as C and D.  With the old HD it was something roughly like 50gb
and 23gb respectively (74gb Raptor).  The partitions were not the same
size on the new HD because it's twice the size (150gb VelociRaptor), I
made them about 75/75gb on the new one.

When the restore was complete I was left with a strange "phantom
partition" of about 20gb.  C: showed the **TOTAL** size of only about
~49gb (which is probably the size of the ORIGINAL imaged C: partition),
even though it was partitioned to be 75gb on the NEW HD.  D: says it's
about 71gb, which IS as it was partitioned.

When I looked at "Computer Management" and "Disk Management", in between
"Main drive C:" and "Storage D:" is this "Free Space" partition of about
~20gb.  Evidently the backup not only mirrored the data, but also **all
physicalities of** the partition.

I tried to delete that odd partition to reclaim the space, but the space
went to the D partition.  How can I get it to go back to the C:
partition?  I need to find a way to tell XP that this ~20gb space is
PART OF the C: partition and not D.

Thanks,
-Clint

God Bless,