[PCWorks] A fix for image retention or burn-in for LCD (or plasma) monitors & TV's (also stuck, dead, or hot pixels)

  • From: "Clint Hamilton-PCWorks Admin" <PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCWorks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pcworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 03:06:51 -0500

Even though my LCD monitor is set to power down after 5
minutes, I had some image retention on it at the bottom where
the taskbar is.  You could faintly see the "Start" button,
address bar, and IR for what's on the Quick Launch toolbar.
Most monitors will probably have something like this because of
course there's no screensaver or powering down that can prevent
it WHILE you're using your monitor.  It may not be noticeable
until you "Auto hide the taskbar" (right click then
"Properties" on the 'classic' Windows theme on XP), and open
something like Notepad and move it to that area, and you can
probably see some IR or BI.

I run this program from time to time, and I let it run for
about 16 hours yesterday and the BI/IR I saw is 99% gone.  It's
an "executable jar file" so you have to have something like Sun
Java installed for it to run.  You just click it after
downloading it and it goes TOTALLY FULL screen.  Make
sure your monitor's contrast and brightness are max'd out.
If for some reason it doesn't go full screen and if there's any
toolbar or taskbar seen, DO NOT run it because it can only
make things worse.  "StuckSweep":

http://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/stucksweep/Stuck%20Pixel%20Sweeper/1.0%20RC1/stucksweep.jar?r=http%3A%2F%2Fsourceforge.net%2Fprojects%2Fstucksweep%2F&ts=1286175216&use_mirror=voxel

Don't watch it, watching it could cause "an epileptic event".
LoL.

This probably WILL NOT work for stuck/dead/hot pixels.  For
that there's something like "JScreenFix" but the downloaded
file for some reason has suddenly stopped working.  It will
only work now at their website which IS BAD because it does NOT
go FULL screen!
(http://www.jscreenfix.com/applet.php?width=1600&height=1400).
Regardless of the resolution at the end, it leaves toolbars
visible which again, is bad.  (I emailed them and asked what's
going on with the downloaded file).  The download that stays on
your PC DID go totally full screen, but it's throwing all kinds
of Sun Java errors and won't run.  The URL's shown in the error
boxes are all valid, so I don't know what's going on with it.
It's not a Java problem because the "StuckSweep" program above
is also Java.  I can no longer find the download at their site.
http://www.jscreenfix.com/
http://www.jscreenfix.com/basic.php
But there's still an FAQ about it, but again with no link to
the download:
http://www.jscreenfix.com/faq/16-i-have-downloaded-jscreenfix.jnlp-how-can-i-run-it
I did however find the download URL from an outside source, if
anyone wants to try it:
http://www.fileratings.com/Review/JScreenFix
http://www.jscreenfix.com/JScreenFix.jnlp

These types of programs will also work on LCD or plasma TV's if
you can find a way to get them to run on a TV, like if your TV
has a PC-in (DVI or VGA) connection.

Here's some other links for possibly fixing BI, IR, or pixel
problems.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stuck_pixel (some links at bottom)
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor
http://digg.com/news/technology/Fix_stuck_pixels_and_burn_in_on_LCD_and_plasma_screens