-=PCTechTalk=- Windows Automatic Update

  • From: "Gloria" <redowl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 04:59:07 -0700

I'm running Win Me OS and have it set for Auto Updates.  This used to work, but
I've noticed in the past few weeks it keeps sending the dame update over and
over.  I've now set it to notify me before it downloads, since I've rec'd the
same one 10 times since December 5th!  When I have it scan for Critical Updates
it shows one for IE 6 Service Pack (I don't have IE 6) and it shows that I need
to install a Cumulative Update for IE 5.5 Service Pack 2.  That's the one I
keep getting and supposedly has been installed ten times, which it shows on the
Windows Update page in my Installation History.  I'm sure there have been other
updates for Win Me, which I'm not getting because it seems to be stuck on this
one.  My friend says it sounds like something's wacky in the Registry (I don't
go there!)--I used to get Automatic Updates app. every 6-10 days, now I get the
same one every other day.  Can anyone tell me what's happening here and/or how
to fix it?  It could possibly have to do with a virus I picked up a couple of
months ago that changed most of my .exe extensions to dot RBO--the virus was
M A G I S T R (I'm afraid to even type it properly, this is how Langa does it,
spacing out the letters).  If the problem is in the Registry, I would need
step-by-step instructions, since I know NOTHING!! After all, it took ten
identical updates before I realized there was a problem---DUH!  Please
somebody, help!

---