-=PCTechTalk=- Windows 10 - LOOOOOONNNNNGGGG read

  • From: "cajun12" <cajun12@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2015 09:41:35 -0500

Windows 10 is not going to be a subscription service any time soon. You can
buy Windows 10 Home in the Microsoft store right now for $119.99, or you can
upgrade for free on your current computer until the end of July 2016.

http://tinyurl.com/puccmok

I would wait a few months before upgrading and let others report the bugs
and give Microsoft time to work them out. It may be ready for prime time
after the first of the year. Some consumers are experiencing crashes due to
drive compatibility problems. There are other reasons that you may want to
consider before upgrading. Windows 7 is projected to be supported with
updates by Microsoft until about 2020.

Here's my plan: I currently have two desktops running Windows 7 that I am
not going to upgrade to Windows 10. One of them is my 2005 Windows XP build
that I upgraded to Windows 7. I think it will die before support ends for
Windows 7, so no hurry to upgrade. The other is my 2011 build of Windows 7
that may very well run until 2020. I have a netbook with Windows 7 Starter
that I rarely ever use and I'm not worried about upgrading it. I have an
older laptop that originally came with Vista 32bit, but it has a 64bit Core
2 Duo processor in it. I upgraded Vista 32bit to Widows 732 bit,
partitioned the hard drive, and installed Windows 8 64bit on it when it
first came out and sold for $39.99. I upgraded the Windows 8 partition to
8.1 when it came out. I am dual booting this laptop with Windows 7 Home
32bit and Windows 8.1 64bit. I will upgrade the Windows 8.1 partition to
Windows 10. This is not my main computer. I work on other people's
computers occasionally and I need to learn something about the new OS so I
can answer questions. When Windows 8 first came out, a friend bought one
and brought it to me for a few days to set it up and show her how to get
around in it. Since I had never laid eyes on Windows 8 in person, I had to
read up on it so I could do what she wanted on it.

With the introduction of Windows 8 was the seemingly mandatory Microsoft
Login. Did you know that you don't HAVE to set up Windows 8 or Windows 10
with a Microsoft Login? But Microsoft doesn't make this obvious. Windows
10 is going to collect data on your activities a lot more through Windows
10, and they'll share their information with their "trusted partners." If
you are not comfortable with this, you need to educate yourself about
customizing your installation. Even if you set up your Windows 8 or 10 with
a Microsoft Login, you can undo it. Of course, this will mean that you'll
have to login in every time you want to open a Microsoft App/Tile. This is
not a problem for me as I find their stuff useless, and I don't use their
"cloud" service, which is now called OneDrive instead of SkyDrive. I am
using a regular user login (as in past Microsoft operating systems) and NOT
a Microsoft login on my Windows 8.1 installation.

Here are articles on Windows 10 activities:
http://tinyurl.com/q6wfok6
http://bgr.com/2015/07/31/windows-10-upgrade-spying-how-to-opt-out/

Here is an article about the crashing:
http://tinyurl.com/nlbwnnc

Here's an article about logging in:
http://tinyurl.com/lfdodcx

Here's an article about creating a local account instead of a Microsoft
account login:
http://tinyurl.com/kzw556u

Just Google search and you'll find more.

Advice? Be absolutely sure that you back up your personal information
before you perform an upgrade. Personal information includes pictures,
videos, music, created files, browser bookmarks, etc.

Hope this helps. : )

dj

in the Subject.