-=PCTechTalk=- Vista Search

  • From: <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 10:41:37 -0500

What is and why does "Micro$oft Windows Search Filter Host" constantly try to
establish a TCP connection with a remote IP address?  (This time 65.32..4.145 :
80.  I have not noticed if it is the same address and port every time)
While we are on the subject of "Search"... it s%&^s compared to Search in XP.
Is there anyway to change it to ANYthing else?  I'd be thrilled to have the XP
search back.  Unfortunately, Google Deskbar and Google Desktop do not work in
Vista x64.

I can't believe Vista has been in circulation for so long and nobody else has
made a stink about Search.   It is so useless to me I tried to uninstall it.
But apparently, it is not the same thing as Search 4.0 which is just as useless
based on my short experience with it in XP x32.

M$ obviously spent a few billion $$$ and wasted a few billion lines of code to
make Vista into a very nice piece of eye candy.  If they had spent just half as
much making it easier to use, more intuitive and more useful it would be a far
more popular operating system.

Do you ever need to visit your "Documents and Settings" folder?  Me too.  But
open Explorer, open Computer (its not even MY computer any more) and then click
on the Documents and Settings folder to select it.  ACCESS DENIED.

Scroll down the folder list a bit further.  Try to access Desktop, Documents
and Favorites.  ACCESS DENIED.

Apparently, and I may have misunderstood what I read, those shortcuts link to
non-existent locations and were put there only because the customer is
accustomed to seeing them in the folder tree.  We are also accustomed to a
search feature that is useful but apparently that doesn't matter.

It takes one UAC approval to create a new folder in the wrong folder and then
FOUR to delete it.  That makes sense.  In the folder tree I am not allowed
access to the Music folder but I can still create a new folder in it.  When I
try to open that folder I get a very longwinded error message telling me the
location is not available.  Please tell me that makes sense.

One thing they did fix:  In XP you could click anywhere in the folder tree and
the nearest folder would be selected but if you clicked anywhere in the file
pane except directly on the filename nothing would be selected.  In Vista
Explorer you can now click on the name, date, type, or any other data point in
the pane and the corresponding file is selected.  OH.  a second good thing:
they added "New" to the context menu in the Explorer folder tree and in the
file list pane.

A marvelous new computer and a stunningly beautiful new monitor/HDTV and I have
noticed that the time I spend on my computer is now about one tenth of what I
spent before.   My contacts and various groups are lucky that Windows Mail is
not too vastly different or more screwed up than Outlook Express.  Thank you
VISTA for doing something my will power could not do.  I'm now spending more
time reading than I did before and I'll be buying a 1080p upconvert DVD player
or maybe an internal BlueRayDVD player to get more use of the HDTV.

End of Rant

Don