-=PCTechTalk=- Vid Card ?

  • From: DeaconDeamon@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 18:11:20 +0000

I'm trying to get my old tower up and running. It died while I was away for a
week.
When I turned it on I would get 1 long beep followed by 3 short ones.  After
googleing it I found that in my BIOS (Award), this means that the Bios cannot
see the Video card.  I checked it out and the card had come loose.
  Reseted the card and tried again, Got the short beep ( everything ok ) this
time but still no monitor.
Changed to the monitor from my newest system ( used compaq ), and got the check
cable dialog box.
Checked everything again could not find anything wrong, but the dialog box did
dissapears.  Turned the computer on again Still no monitor.
 Is it possible for the video card to go bad and the monitor still read it, (
hope I worded that right )?
 Or is it more likely the mother board died.  Also the processor dropped out in
my hand once. Put it back and locked it into place.

 Gman the 40 gig hard drive won't work with the Compaq.  When it is in and I
turn the computer on it says F1 to boot, When I push F1 I get a black screen
with a flashing curser in the upper left corner.  Tried typing something but
nothing happens.

Steve