-=PCTechTalk=- Trouble with Windows Update

  • From: "~OoO~" <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 08:39:10 -0400

For whoever was having trouble wth Windows Update, I got this from a
Lockergnome (http://www.lockergnome.com) newsletter:
.
.....BEGIN QUOTE.....
With the various Windows security issues and viruses floating around lately,
having Windows Updates working for you is key. Digging into the GnomeTIPS
history files, we received this message from Gnomie Herman about how to solve
some Windows Updates problems: "Referencing the July 30, 2003 posting about
Windows Updates not downloading (the second tip in that issue)... the following
was obtained from Microsoft (don't remember exactly where on their site) and it
worked for me. I had the same problem. I am running Windows 98SE. Here are the
steps I took:
  1.. Click on the following link to download a file called MCREPAIR.EXE:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/msninvestor/patch/1.0/win98/en-us/mcrepair.exe,
 and save this file to your Desktop.
  2.. Open Windows Explorer.
  3.. Create a temporary backup directory called C:\Backup.
  4.. Navigate to the C:\Windows\System directory.
  5.. Copy these files to the C:\Backup directory:
    a.. Asycfilt.dll
    b.. Oleaut32.dll
    c.. Olepro32.dll
    d.. Stdole2.tlb
  6.. Verify that copies of these files are in the C:\Backup folder.
  7.. Return to your Desktop and double-click on the file MCREPAIR.EXE.
  8.. Click Yes to any messages that appear. Once the process is complete, you
will be prompted to reboot your PC.
  9.. After your system boots, try the Windows Update site again. If the
download still hangs, and/or you encounter problems with other applications on
your PC then you can use the following steps to restore your original files:
    1.. Open Windows Explorer.
    2.. Navigate to the C:\Backup folder.
    3.. Copy the four files to this folder: C:\Windows\System.
    4.. Click the "Yes To All" button when the popup message appears asking if
you want to overwrite the existing files.
    5.. Now re-boot your PC."

.....END QUOTE.....