-=PCTechTalk=- Sony Vaio Question

  • From: "Steve Aiello" <pilotcar_1@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "pctechtalk" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 16:27:47 -0500

One of the girls in the complex was given a 3 y/o Vaio.  She asked me to check
it out and see what if anything is wrong with it.
It has XP Home on it.
The Nortens Security Suite on it. The trail sub. ended 1 1/2 years ago.  She
said she didn't have the money to buy, and could I remove it as she was not
going to be going on the internet with it. I removed this and replaced it with
AVG free and Zone Alarm free.  and explained that  even though she was not
going on the net with it it would be a good idea to have some type of anti
virus and fire wall on it.
I also removed other programs that there is no use for. (AOL and others)
Now the question I have. System info says there are 2 hard drives on it. ( C &
D ) . Both are about the same size.  C drive is appox. 65% full, and D  drive
is empty.  I have not been able to find a way to get to the D drive.
The Question is what am I missing?  Do I have to format D to get to it?   I got
a feeling I'm missing something easy.
I'm also getting a warning about some drives not loading as they are not
compatable with XP.   or something along that line.  I turned on auto update
and brought that up to date. includung SP2.  It also says BIOS out of date.
Last updated in 2003. Also getting warnings on video card and sound card.  both
seem to work ok.  But the unit seems to be sending an awful lot of error
messages.
 Looks like I'm going to have to install Word Suite on it. Spell check gives me
a popup msaying file can not be found
Thanks.
Steve