-=PCTechTalk=- Scrolling Stationery - It just may not be a soon fading memory

  • From: <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 15:14:50 -0800

To those of you who like stationery with moving parts..there is hope... A
program is being developed..that will work in a manner that will treat the
stationery which  will be attached similar to how .pps files are treated.
It will save stationery in a file format and you will need a reader  (FREE)
for that format.  (This is like the free .pps viewer you have to view .pps
files)  The program being developed will be pretty inexpensive (about $20.)
and the viewer will be free.

So, you can continue to make stationery with moving parts, etc and you can
send it to your grandkids, grandma, friends, etc and they will be able to
see it is from you..and they can choose to open it and see your lovely work.
If you are concerned about security for your friends, you could send an
email first..telling them a stationery was coming..and then send the
stationery separately.

I personally do not think the virus folks will be interested in using this
program..as there are not that many folks who make stationery when you
consider the millions and millions if not billions of users on the internet.
I think the stationery folks are a niche group and will not be a target.
Stationery has not been accused of being the virus carrier....

I was very upset about the disabling of scripting.  There are a few times
where very responsible computer users of gotten a virus or worm.  The
majority of times, it has been because of folks who either do not know, care
or think that it could not happen to them!  While I feel sorry for those who
have no clue, I feel they need to get one.  Now that may sound very harsh,
but I do not think that everyone has to have the lowest common denominator
settings to protect everyone because some folks do not know how to protect
themselves.  Put a warning label on the computer like you put on a pack of
cigarettes!  Operating this equipment without proper virus protection could
cause your system to crash and you could send destructive virus' and worms
to others.  Please read and then follow all instructions before setting up
your email account.

I hate having the joy of making stationery being taken away because of the
actions of others.  Of course..the real culprit are the ones who create such
virus' and worms...just because they can..and to cause grief.  I do think
the penalties should be high for them.  I believe they should have to 'pay'
for the damage they cause.  But I do not think that the thousands of folks
who make stationery and especially those who use the internet as an outlet
from their home, sometimes their only outlet, should be penalized.

I know I sound rather harsh and uncaring.  I am not.  I volunteer all the
time to help newbies with their computers.  Even when I get to the store and
see folks sort of looking lost, I walk up and ask if they need help.  I have
helped tons of folks.  And I will continue to do so.  One of the first
things I tell people is their RESPONSIBILITY with a  computer.  Older folks
understand responsibility.  They may be frightened..for sure..but
typically..if I can get them to focus on responsibility..then the steps are
followed..and the fear dissipates.

Do, got those of you who like scripting.. hang in there... life will go
on...and we will be fine.... and I am  confident we will have stationery
with scrolling, etc. again....

Rose
Las Vegas