-=PCTechTalk=- Ribbon Cables-Sammi

  • From: "Roger" <rcleavitt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "PCTT" <PCTechTalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 22:33:02 -0700

Before I forget it Sammi, the next time you're shopping at Directron check
the prices on:
Extra-long IDE flat ribbon cables for harddrives / CD-ROM / DVD / CDRW,
40pins, 36inch

They aren't on sale at the moment but they may be in the future. At three
feet long you can play musical chairs (drives) and keep the drive out of
your way.
That will also allow you to give Gman back his shoe-box. Even a two foot
cable will work with some machines. Just keep one of each in your toolbox?
Items like that can also be used to pad your order when there is something
you need immediately but it won't qualify for the minimum order of $10.
I'm a cheap bas**** and it really frosts my nostrils to have to pay Newegg
or TigerDirect almost ten dollars for a $1.50 item. I try to stay ahead of
them but I'll tell you there's no time to look back....... they're gaining
on me all the time.

Another tip:
If you have a 99Cent Store or a DollarTree Store check them out for cables
the next time you wander into one. I found a selection of Belkin cables,
including patch cables, USB extension cables, Firewire cables, etc. all for
a buck. The same cables sell elsewhere for $5.95 and up.

They both carry various telephone type cables. Put a 25 foot extension cable
on your telephone so you can talk to TechSupport with a phone under your
chin and still have enough slack so you don't pull the phone off the desk. A
dialtone is not what you need to hear after waiting an hour on hold!
Only a buck for those cables too.

I'm going broke saving money but I have fun!
YMMV

"From now on, ending a sentence with a preposition is something up with
which I will not put."
  - Sir Winston Churchill