-=PCTechTalk=- Re: wireless router question

  • From: "recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx" <recklessmaverick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 16:14:51 -0400

You most likely do have an adapter already unless the Dell is really
really old.  To confirm look at the back of your tower.  You should see
a normal telephone hookup socket (the one used for a dial up connection)
and a somewhat larger but very similar looking socket.  This is probably
a bit removed from the dial up port.  Your cable modem is likely
connected here.  (It might be connected to a USB port but lets hope not.)

If you plan to connect to the router via Ethernet cable instead of
wireless, you will not see any benefit from the Speedbooster circuitry
in the router.  If connecting wireless be sure to purchase a LinkSys
Speedbooster wireless adapter if you want the benefits of the
Speedbooster circuitry.

Open the box.  Unfold and read the installation instructions.  Keep them
handy to follow along with.  Remove the disk from box.  Insert disk in
drive.  Follow the prompts.

Remember:

1. change password to the router.
2. if not connecting wireless disable wireless access.
3. if connecting wireless enable security/encryption and use WPA or
WPA-2.  WEP is worthless.
4. if connecting wireless, use an encryption passkey at least 16
characters long.  Longer than 20 is wasted unless you using a weak
string of characters.
5. Do not confuse the router passWORD with the encryption passKEY.
6. A good passkey will look like this:  a7Q*f%2Br@%9UxT#

802.11n is faster and has a longer range than 802.11a/b/g.  As long as
you are in your house and your primary need for speed is uploading to
and downloading from the internet and the wireless router speed is
faster than your upload and download speeds then you are OK.  A modest
cable modem connection will allow about 3Mbps download and 256Kbps
upload speeds peak.  Faster and slower speeds are available from most
cable companies.

Please note:  Those speeds are in bits not bytes.  To convert to bytes
divide by 8.  The samples above would be about 375KBps and 32KBps.

Don

cristy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just purchased a Wireless-G Broadband Router with SpeedBooster (Linksys).
> I forgot how I found out but I think I already have the adapter I need
> (would like to double check though, how do I do this?)  I have a desktop
> (Dell) and cable/modem (Cox)  The desktop is hooked up to cable/modem.  Is
> it hard for me to set this up ?  Also, what is the big speed difference
> between this one and the "N", is it really noticeable?  What does it mean?
> I know with dialup speed is very low and with able much higher, is this what
> it refers to?
>
> thanks,
> christy
in the Subject.