-=PCTechTalk=- Re: transferring to a new computer

  • From: Don <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 18:24:14 -0400

The first time your friend fires up the new hard drive he might need to
a) format it, b) Configure software that is pre installed on it, c)
delete all the software if he doesn't want it  or d) none of the above.

Once that is finished he can simply drag and drop files from his old
computer onto it and then move the drive to his new computer and drag
and drop them where he wants them.

If he is wants to he can use a utility to do much of this and more.  In
XP to XP use Win XP's Files and Settings Transfer Wizard.  In Vista to
Vista or XP to Vista use Vista's Windows Easy Transfer.  In either case
start on the new computer.

Both of these will transfer files as well as email settings, accounts,
message folders, favorites and more.  Read the Help and Support files on
them before using either one.

Don

bookworm54 tds.net wrote:
> I have a friend who has just bought a new computer. He also bought an
> external hard drive. What is the best way to transfer things he wants to
> save from his old machine to the new?  I don't know if the new one has any
> IDE connections or not. Couldn't he just hook the external to his old
> computer and use it?
> Jo Ann

in the Subject.