-=PCTechTalk=- Re: scary stuff

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 04:02:38 -0400

Hi Lil,
    The code they're talking about is automatically executed when you surf
to a comprimised webpage.  It gets onto your system by breaking through a
known vulnerability in the browser.  The method of entry is usually a buffer
overrun exploit where too much information is send to the system and the
excess confuses part of it into executing code that normally would be
ignored.

    The article makes a point of saying that most of the infected systems
are of the MS Windows variety, but that's just a headline catcher.  The
reason it attacks MS products so much is simply because there are many more
of them than any other OS in use.  Another contributory factor is that most
businesses are set up by their IT people to install vulnerability patches as
soon as they're released, while a lot of consumers are guilty of clicking
the "Remind me later" button.  MS is actually very good at closing up these
holes as they are discovered, but it doesn't help if the user does not allow
the patches to be applied.

    The end of this article give's sound advice on how to prevent the
spread.

Gman