-=PCTechTalk=- Re: restore CD versus format c drive?

  • From: <TechRose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 18:36:17 -0800

Cristy,

You need to KNOW that XP is on that restore disk.  Make sure you have the
serial number.  I know I said all this yesterday..but I would rather bore
you with a bit of redundant information than have you come up stuck with no
system.
I know mine was on a seperte disk from the other drivers, etc.

On one system I had, I had to call Gateway to get a serial number as the one
that came with my disk did not work (or I lost it, I cannot remember the
reason)  They guy just said..use this number... and rattled it off.
Evidently folks lose their number a lot and this is the easiest fix for
them.  It could be it is the Gateway OEM number or something.  It did not
matter as I was upgrading to XP and just needed the old Win 98 number to be
able to install XP.

My preferred method of installing windows is to put the windows disk in my
cd drive and start the disk.  I do not remember the exact steps..but there
is an option to install Windows XP.... (I do not want to try this on my
system and overwrite my hard drive - reformat and reinstall....lol!)

Go slow and read every word carefully.  There is an option to reformat the
drive before reinstalling.  Select that.  I missed the step once and had to

If you have a problem, call your tech support from your computer company.
They should be able to help you.

Happy formatting and getting a squeaky clean computer to start the new year!

Rose
Las Vegas