-=PCTechTalk=- Re: pctechtalk=Re: - =PCTechTalk=- USB problem

  • From: "jo" <jo.clark@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 09:55:15 -0700

hi usa sylvia
on re-read i now think you have a different problem since your usb is being
recognised by pnp.
just remembered !! - the other thing i had to do was 'enable' usb in the
BIOS.
jo

From: "Sylvia" <sylviam@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: -  =PCTechTalk=- USB problem
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 11:41:11 -0600

Hi Jo, thank you for this advice and information! I will see if I can find
another USB device. You mention the mobo handbook...if
your mobo came with the PC, where did you find it? I have a Dell but I doubt
that I have a handbook...her Compaq might, I will have
to ask her.

I have never used my USB either...guess it's time for that too, :)

I will also check out what the back of hers looks like. The sys properties
shows 2 USB entries...there are 2 physical sockets in the
back. In the Device Manager it shows the Root Hub and something about an SIS
7001 PCI to USB open Host Controller, I am guessing
that this is the USB card.

Thanks again!

USA_Sylvia

Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 18:43:11 -0600

By following the
online prompt we are told to plug in the USB cable but I am not sure the
computer recognizes that it has a USB port. In Device
Manager it shows as working with no problems. There are 2 places to plug in
the USB cable in the back of the PC and we have tried
both to no avail.

The printer installation program has a section where you can add a port, I
tried to add it that way...but it won't do it. It's like
the USB isn't working or recognized for some reason. She has never tried to
use a USB device before, so we don't know if it ever
worked and of course since it is out of warranty I doubt that Compaq/HP will
be interested either.

I am out of ideas of how to test/fix this problem. I sure would appreciate
any pointers of what to try next.