-=PCTechTalk=- Re: pctechtalk Digest V3 #372

  • From: ~OoO~ <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 10:05:05 -0500

Ted, can you just reiterate the problem again? I've been doing selective reads,
and I honestly didn't read the original problem. Or, if someone has the post,
just forward it back to the list.

Thank you.

---Troth

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:21:35 -0500

From: "~OoO~" <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: = can't save [xphomes2]

Why even bother removing it if you're gonna reinstall anyway?

You are =

reinstalling XP from scratch, right? If so, you're gonna want to

=

completely formatthe drive, which means iTunes goes to the can =

automatically.

________________________________

Sir Troth

ICQ #1717439

AIM/AOL: SirTrothX

Yahoo: SirTroth

MSN: SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxx

        (do not email me here)

My Personal Email: SirTroth@xxxxxxxxx

hi troth

I'm slimming-down my HD in preparation for reinstall, if I have

to.

'i-tunes' is one I can do without, but using controlpanel

does=20

not take it out.

it remains totally undamaged and fully usable after the

'install=20

shield wizard'

has come and gone.

any ideas before I simply delete it.

cheers ted

thanks Don, it is my laptop [XP failure], without doubt.

I don't have Norton.

how does one use ,Dr Watson ?

in w98 my next step would have been to go to system tools and

laboriously

gone through the system files repairing or replacing each one

that looked

suspicious !

reinstall is a long way off while I can still use IE and OE

successfully

cheers ted

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

From: "Don" <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>

Subject: -=3DPCTechTalk=3D- Re: =3D can't save [xphomes2]

Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 22:33:20 -0500

I'm trying to limit the scope of the problem and so far nothing

has helped

do that.  For example.... is it ONLY document files (rtf, txt

and doc) or is

it ONLY on a single computer or ONLY in Microsoft software....

you get the

idea?

With regard to items 8 and 9:  If you copy file(s) to a CD or

floppy disk

and take them to a different computer do they edit and save OK?

If yes, that virtually eliminates file structure and file

content as

possible causes of the problem and points a very strong

finger=20

at

your

computer... hardware or software...  and I would aim towards the

software.

Since SAVE and SAVE AS involve basic operating system functions

I would

suspect corruption in your OS and suggest a repair or reinstall

or at least

run a diagnostic and repair tool like Norton WinDoctor.

If no, I would suspect the software is creating a corrupt file

and would

look for something in common between the various programs where

the problem

occurs, such as a shared file.  Or, if the problem is across

different

software and software publishers (in other words, some

non-microsoft

software is included), I would again suspect corruption in your

OS and

suggest a repair or reinstall or at least run a diagnostic and

repair tool

like Norton WinDoctor.

Don

----- Original Message -----=20