-=PCTechTalk=- Re: pctechtalk Digest V1 #76

  • From: ~OoO~ <SirTroth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:03:22 -0400

Actually... I forgot about XP's DISK CLEANUP utility. That should clean out
the temp files. So, you need to open up the Scheduled Task utility.

Here are the steps you need to take:

1. DISK CLEANUP

Open up the DISK CLEANUP utility, by going to START > RUN and typing in:
CLEANMGR /SAGESET:1
and press ENTER. Make sure there is a space between "CLEANMGR" and "SAGESET:1".

The DISK CLEANUP utility will open. Place a check mark in everything you
want cleaned up. What you're doing here is basically saving a setting so
when the scheduled tasks runs the utility it will do so with the same
settings as what you're picking now. That SAGESET:1 you indicated is like a
phone's speed dial. You're saving the setting to location 1. You can
actually use any SAGESET between 1 and something like 65000. In our example
here, though, we'll use 1. So, after DISK CLEANUP opens up, select your
options, and let it run for the first time. After its done running and
cleans up everything, you can then close it.

Now, open up the Scheduled Tasks manager. You can do so by either going to
CONTROL PANEL,  PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE and then SCHEDULED TASKS, or
you can go to START > ALL PROGRAMS > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > SCHEDULED
TASKS. Once its open, click on the ADD SCHEDULED TASK. New window will pop
up and you'll hit NEXT. It will now search for everything that it thinks it
can run. When it comes up, you're going to look for DISK CLEANUP in the
list, and select that one. Highlight hit and hit NEXT. Give it a name, and
check off how often you wish to run it. In your case, you want to do it
WHEN MY COMPUTER STARTS UP. Then hit NEXT. On the next screen, the first
field says ENTER USER NAME. This should already have a computer name and
user name. Do not change this. Very important note, as we were talking
about this on this list awhile ago. You CANNOT run scheduled tasks with a
user name and no password. So, if the user name you wish to use doesn't
have a password, you're going to need to add one. Assuming you're login
user name DOES have a password, this screen is where you will enter
password to use. Once the password is entered, hit NEXT.

On the next screen, put a check mark where it says OPEN ADVANCED
PROPERTIES, and then click FINISH.

On the ADVANCED PROPERTIES, where it says RUN, you should see it has
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cleanmgr.exe
listed. You need to add something to that line. Add a space and then:
/SAGESET:1

So, the RUN field should actually say:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cleanmgr.exe /SAGESET:1

Just like that. Only space should be between "exe" and "/SAGESET:1".

This is telling the computer to run it with the settings from memory #1.

Now click OK, and that task will be listed and ready to run every time you
boot the computer.

2. SCANDISK

Click ADD SCHEDULED TASK again.

Next window, hit NEXT for the list of programs you can run. When the list
comes up, this time you're going to hit BROWSE. And, you're going to
navigate to and double click
C:\windows\system32\chkdsk.exe

You then give it a name and check off WHEN MY COMPUTER STARTS. Hit NEXT and
put in the password again, then hit NEXT. No need for the ADVANCED
PROPERTIES, so you just hit FINISH and you'll see it listed.

2. DEFRAG

Click ADD SCHEDULED TASK again.

Next window, hit NEXT for the list of programs you can run. When the list
comes up, hit BROWSE again. You're going to navigate to and double click
C:\windows\system32\defrag.exe

You then give it a name and check off WHEN MY COMPUTER STARTS. Hit NEXT and
put in the password again, then hit NEXT. No need for the ADVANCED
PROPERTIES, so you just hit FINISH and you'll see it listed.

And that's all of it.

Again, quick note, you need to run scheduled taks from a user name that is
password-protected. Not sure of this is a bug or something done
intentionally, but if you don't enter a password during the adding of a
scheduled task, it will not let you proceed. Hence, you need to run the
task from a user name with password.

Hope this helps.

---Troth