-=PCTechTalk=- Re: off-topic question

  • From: "L. Cruz" <lilian1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 19:02:18 -0000

Small pox was erradicated just because vaccination was mandatory.  I was
vaccinated against it as where all of my generation, with little ill
effects.  The devastation created by the illness in the XVIIIth and XIX
century is well documented and the risk of an epidemic outweighed the risk
of a side effect in a very small percentage of individuals.  Nowadays it is
common in the Winter months to innoculate at risk individuals against flu.
The original "flu", Influenza epidemic, killed over a million people world
wide at the turn of the XXth century.  Had there been a vaccine most would
have survived.  It is wise to think twice before rejecting vaccination when
it is called for.  You may be responsible not only for risking your own
life, but putting other lives at risk also by spreading a virus or microbe.
Children are just as much at risk as you are!
IMHO, of course...

Lil