-=PCTechTalk=- Re: hard drives

  • From: "Barnstoneworth" <barneystorm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 11:50:30 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Barry" <barrys.groups@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 8:41 AM
Subject: -=PCTechTalk=- Re: hard drives

> Andy how long did you leave it for?
>
> I've heard of people leaving it in up to 8 hours.

Four hours....and it was wrapped in an anti static bag then in several
freezer bags...I spole with a tech at the local university weho looks after
their networks, and he reckoned no more than 4 hours I even left it to warm
up a little then tried it again, still no joy...

It's really strange as I can feel it power up (You hear the discs start to
spin), then you get this kind of
'click..beep..click..beep..click..beep..etc..etc..' this happens while the
machine is booting into BIOS, then it stops, but BIOS will not recognise the
drive and it  simply will not get past the BIOS screen without with the
drive attached, so it's not as if I can boot into DOS and try and get at the
info that way...Just realised that there was a complete collection of
wedding photos on there I was working on for a firend...They still have the
originals, but it took ages to scan them all in at a very high resolution to
make into photo-CD's..Also some course work that my Daugher hadn't backed up
(I told her to, but I can't really have a go at her considering how much
stuff I've lost!!)

Well, that's IBM crossed of my list of 'Good Manuafacturers'

Andy