-=PCTechTalk=- Re: former black screen topic

  • From: Don <dsw32952@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 May 2009 10:13:34 -0400

If the old machine is an OLD machine it may not be wise to spend a *lot*
of money on a card.  Some points to consider:

1.  If the monitor is also old and is the square type versus the
widescreen type an older card such as an nVidia FX5200 will be fine
since you don't need the new widescreen capabilities.  (My FX 5200 has
no native widescreen resolutions)

2.  The less memory your computer has, the more you should have on your
new card.  Up to a point.  A 256 or 512MB card will likely be fine
unless you do a lot of intense graphics work or work with more than 3 or
4 windows open and actively working at once.

3.  Get a card with a native resolution that matches your monitors
native resolution.  For example for a 4:3 screen 800x600 or for a 16:9
screen 1600x900 or 1600x1000.  If you have to confifure the video card
to use a custom resolution performance may suffer.

4.  As a general rule, the older the computer the harder it should be to
justify spending a lot of money for anything to upgrade, update or
repair it.  Computers are like cars.... once you start spending money to
keep the working, the more it makes sense to buy a new one since repair
costs can easily exceed the cost of a new one.  $350 in repair or
upgrade costs will be buy a very adequate new one for many home users.

5.  Item 4 should be more highly and strongly regarded if the computer
is not at least a Pentium 4 or Athlon operating at 2.0GHz or faster.
Technology is advancing so rapidly and software is becoming so bloated
that anything less will soon become a dinosaur for anything more than
the simplest offline uses.  My 6 year old Dell with a 3.0 GHz P-3
processor fails to meet requiremnts for some newer games.  The main
weakness is its video card.

cristy wrote:
> Thanks Gman,
>
> Any hints on a decent moderately priced vid card for the old computer?
>
> Christy

in the Subject.