-=PCTechTalk=- Re: ??? for a Sony CD- R/W drive issues

  • From: Gman <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 21:44:16 -0400

Richard,
    To find drivers for the devices within an OEM system, look up the entire
system make/model.  Chances are pretty good that you won't find drivers for
an optical drive, however, because those drivers are usually supplied by the
operating system instead of the system manufacturer.

    It sounds to me like your son may be experiencing a dirty lens inside
the drive.  A coating of dust will build up on the lens over time.  If your
home is located in a dusty environment &/or anyone in the house smokes, it
will serve to vastly speed up the process.  The 'fix' is to run an optical
drive lens cleaner on it once in a while.  These cleaners are little more
than a CD with at least one small brush molded into the underside of the
disk.  There are usually three tracks burned to the disk with the brush in
the middle of the second track.  To clean the lens, you select track one and
then track three.  The lens moves through the area occupied by the rapidly
spinning brush and the dust/dirt is manually brushed off.  I often like to
run my cleaner back and forth across the tracks several times before I
remove the disk and get back to using the drive normally.

    Even if my drive is not showing any problems, I run my cleaner on it
before I do any music ripping, just to make sure I'm getting the best
representation of the song data as possible to my hard drive.

Peace,
Gman