-=PCTechTalk=- Re: firefox question, text overlapping text on some sites

  • From: EddieB <fasteddieb216@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2010 22:19:10 -0400

In my opinion it is mostly because of websites that were not designed for
different size fonts and/or were mostly just tested using IE.  The reason it
looks fine using IE is probably because IE goes against HTML standards by
automatically making a section of the page bigger to fit the text.  The
problem with that is that now other parts of the page are not where they
were supposed to be (going against HTML standards), but it will probably be
OK since the page was probably tested using IE.  If IE stuck more to the
standards, then website designers would be required to program using HTML
standards instead of IE non-standards.  I'm under the impression that IE
adheres more to the standards these days, but knowing Microsoft they
probably have backwards compatibility to their way of doing things.  I'm
basing my opinion on how things were years ago and I am not sure how far IE
has come towards being compatible with the HTML standards.

I'll bet that the pages with the overlapping text would probably have a lot
of errors if you run it through an HTML validation check.

Ed