-=PCTechTalk=- Re: external hard drive

  • From: "~OoO~" <sirtroth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 20:14:59 -0500

Hi, Tom.=20

NTFS or FAT32. It's the question that's mystified scholars from all over =
the world for centuries! Ok... Maybe I'm exaggerating just a bit!
:o)

But, seriously...

In general, if given the choice, you most likely always want NTFS. It's =
more efficient, more secure, and just sounds cool! NTFS, or New =
Technologies File System, is compatable with Windows XP and Windows =
2000. Windows NT and Windows XP also have compatability issues with =
NTFS. It's a bit different on each, and hence incompatable, I believe, =
without certain updates. And, forget Windows 95/98/ME or DOS. NTFS is =
not compatable with those.

If you need to access the drive with only Windows XP or 2000, then NTFS =
is your best option. Its just a more efficient file system. However, if =
you need to access the drive with Windows ME/98/95 or even DOS, go =
FAT32.

Here goes a much more analytical description. Pretty much written in =
layman's terms, too, so it won't confuse the ehck out of you.
http://tinyurl.com/eiuj

Read it and if you have questions, let me know.

Sir Troth
ICQ #1717439
AIM/AOL: SirTrothX
Yahoo: SirTroth