-=PCTechTalk=- Re: anti virus :VSMail mx3

  • From: James LaBorde <jlaborde@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 14:10:55 -0700

I've used all the major anti-virus software and the winner as far as
protection and computer resources used has to be Panda.  I recently had a
user get two virii at work that Panda caught even before the Firewall
company's software was able to.

Panda has a few major advantages over Norton in my book:

1. Although earlier versions of Panda were very resource intense, the
software has improved drastically and you will notice a significant
difference under Panda and under Norton.
2. Auto-update - Panda's new signature file is ready and can be configured
to pick up automatically first thing EVERY morning.  Norton only updates
their Live-Update file once a week or if there is a news-worthy virus out.
3. Unlike Symantec (Norton), Panda actually supports their product.  They
don't tell you to shell out $29.97 for a tech support call to fix something
that is a problem with the software.
4. Panda has the best record of catching virii that I have encountered.  It
also seems to be much better able to disinfect the files than Norton.
5. Panda plays much nicer with existing software than Norton.  I actually
had Norton wipe out a VPN set up when installed.  Whatever it changed could
not be fixed by a mere uninstall.  The computer had to be completely
reformatted and set up from scratch.
6. Panda actually scans files inside of zips, cab and other compressed file
formats.  Norton may claim to in some versions but a check of the number of
files scanned by both programs will quickly tell you which is better.

James