-=PCTechTalk=- Re: You Tube Question

  • From: GMan <gman.pctt@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 01:46:27 -0400

Hi Beverly,
    Actually, they tried to design the site so that they couldn't be
downloaded.  Having said that, they not only failed miserably, they also
have not bothered to try and patch the wide open hole that other have used
for specialty utilities that can grab them at will.  Personally, I think
they did it initially to dissuade folks from grabbing a video and running
away from the site.  But it turns out that most folks continue surfing there
regularly (giving them plenty of eyeballs for their advertisers), so it's
simply not necessary to stop them from downloading.

    There are what seems like hundreds of apps made for this purpose.  Since
I use the Firefox browser, I installed an extension called "YouPlayer" that
does the work for me.  If you also use Firefox, let me know and I'll provide
a link and some directions on getting started.  I'm sure some other members
will chime in with their favorite utilities for use with Internet Explorer
and other non-Firefox browsers.

Our food supply is tainted
http://tinyurl.com/2j5ogt

"The only dumb questions are the ones we fail to ask!"