-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows messenger

  • From: "TimR" <timr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 06:12:48 -0500

Getting rid of Windows Messenger

I got this post from another newsletter when I had the same problem.
I found #3 worked the best.

1. One way is to change its folder name. The folder is C:\Program
Files\Messenger. If Windows Messenger is open, Windows won't let
you change the name. So shut Windows Messenger down if it is running. If
necessary, click Tools>>Options>>Preferences. Clear the box
that says, "Run this program when Windows starts." Reboot the computer. Change
the Messenger folder to Messsengerx.

2. Another way is to dump Windows Messenger. In Windows Explorer, go to
C:\Windows\Inf. Find the SYSOC.INF file. Open it in Notepad.
Find the line that says, "msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,hide,7"
(without the quotation marks). Replace it with,
"msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,7" (again, leave out the quotation
marks). Then, click Start>>Control Panel. Double click Add
or Remove Programs. Click Add/Remove Windows Components. Clear the check mark
next to Windows Messenger.

3. Here's yet another way to solve the problem: Click Start>>Run. Enter:
RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
(Do not put a period after Remove. Also, note the spaces after RunDll32 and
INFSection.) Click OK.

TimR~

From: "milady" <kg6ocz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

HOW does one get RID of Windows Messenger? or is that not something one
should do? I hate the darn thing..
    *~<*> Mary Lou<*>~*
                 /\ - /\
             >> ^ .^ <<