-=PCTechTalk=- Re: Windows 2000 Question..

  • From: "suzanne" <lailoken@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pctechtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 10:28:28 -0500

hmmm... my win2k install is in fat32 format, and after recently loosing my
mainboard, I am glad of it!  the only o/s I was able to boot into with the
new board was win98... from there I was able to recover everything off of my
win2k and xppro partitions... but I digress...

Files with a "chk" extension are created when you perform a scandisk on your
system. When scandisk finds orphaned files or lost clusters it writes them
to chk files in your root directory.
This is helpful if you are looking for data you might have lost when a
system crash occurred or something similar. If you want to see what is in a
chk file you can open it with a text editing software like notepad.

For the most part, though, these files are pretty useless and can be
deleted.

from http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/tech/weekly/1524437